[ckan-discuss] CKAN documentation - Upgrade to 1.6, AWS instance types

ckan at fwd.at ckan at fwd.at
Fri Apr 6 19:33:36 BST 2012

Hello,

I want to comment the latest documentation update on ckan.org:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-package.html#run-the-package-installer

1.) The upgrade from CKAN 1.5/1.5.1 to 1.6 didn't work from the package
installer.

Although we removed CKAN and even removed everything related to CKAN from
the file system,
the upgrade still didn't work.
The installation itself printed the upgrade to 1.6 worked, but it didn't
show up in the web frontend (still release 1.5.1).
Only a complete reset of the image and a fresh install of CKAN 1.6 worked
finally.

2.) Regarding the documentation of the EC2 amazon AWS image:

The following is written in the docs:
"Warning: No image other than ami-3693a542 will work with CKAN."

This image (ami-3693a542) only runs as a "Small" instance, which is quite
expensive and not
eligible for the free aws tier for 1 year.

We successfully installed and run CKAN 1.6 with the image "ami-fb665f8f"
(AMI: ubuntu/images/ebs/ubuntu-lucid-10.04-amd64-server-20120221
(ami-fb665f8f)),
which is of instance type "Micro".

Maybe the documentation should be updated to let users know of more
cheaper options
of running CKAN in the AWS cloud.

Best regards,
Johannes