[ckan-discuss] Looking for bilingual implementations of CKAN

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Sat Dec 22 22:48:45 GMT 2012

> I haven't made it that far yet, can't you make tag fields that only
> allow selection from existing tags?

Yes, that's what tag vocabularies are for:

> I also worry about managing the French versions with this sort of
> interface.  What do I do when an English tag is deleted, do I delete
> the translation too?  What if a tag is changed, should the translation
> be kept or discarded?  I have a requirement that everything published
> be in both official languages.

If you were using the multingual extension, then when a tag (or other
translated field) was deleted, even if it was deleted from every dataset
that had it, you would just leave the translation(s) in the database and
they would be dormant. It wouldn't be a problem, unless you start to
worry about the translations table becoming too huge and want to remove
unused translations, but I think you'd need to do a lot of translating
before that would become a concern. You can delete translations using
the API but there's no facility for automatically finding and deleting
translations whose corresponding originals have been deleted (although
that could be implemented).