[ckan-discuss] Installation options

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Feb 20 19:58:34 GMT 2012

On 18 February 2012 23:02, Simon Whitehouse <si at siwhitehouse.co.uk> wrote:

Sorry for slow reply!

> On 15/02/2012 10:36, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>>
>> On 15 February 2012 10:31, James Gardner<james.gardner at okfn.org>  wrote:
[...]
>>> We did talk about setting up an AMI, but as you found out, it is fairly
>>> easy
>>> to install from packages anyway, so we never went that extra step.
>>>
>>> The packages are built for architecture "all" so work on both 32bit and
>>> 64bit systems. EC2 micro instances really are quite small and as CKAN has
>>> become more sophisticated it requires slightly more resources. I like to
>>> give a production CKAN instance at least 1GB RAM to ensure it runs
>>> smoothly,
>>> although you can use less, the performance won't be as good. If you want
>>> experiment with the micro instance, you would just follow the same
>>> approach
>>> as for the small instance, but you'd need to find a suitable Ubuntu AMI
>>> (I
>>> don't know of one myself) and choose micro instance during the setup. I'd
>>> recommend a small instance backed by EBS though. Micro instances don't
>>> support EBS as far as I know, so if Amazon rebooted a micro instance for
>>> any
>>> reason, you'd lose all your data - probably not something you want.
>>
>> Really useful info James. Just to clarify, micro instances definitely
>> do support EBS (in fact it can only be run off EBS ...).
>>
>> Rufus
>>

> Hi James and Rufus
>
> Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I tried installing from a number of
> the Ubuntu ami files that Canonical make available, but each of them failed
> one way or another. So, I've decided to bite the bullet and load the ami
> file that is suggested in the Install From Package notes.

I'm sorry to hear this! I'm very surprised you weren't able to install
an official AMI.

> So, now I want to load some sample datasets and before I dive in to try and
> learn how to do this through the API or Harvester I wanted to upload a
> dataset through the CKAN front end. Now, I've taken a look at the notes here
>
> https://github.com/timrdf/datafaqs/wiki/ckan
>
> and they indicate that I ought to see an option to "Upload a File" in the
> Add a Resource section under >Edit>Resources on the dataset. Unfortunately,
> I am not seeing that option when I add a resource. For example
>
> http://ec2-46-51-165-218.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/dataset/edit/test0#section-resources

What version did you install? If you are using pre v1.6 (current HEAD)
you will need to install the ckanext-storage extension:

https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-storage

If you are using HEAD you can just follow:

<http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/file-upload.html>