[ckan-discuss] Socrata

John Erickson olyerickson at gmail.com
Tue May 1 13:04:18 BST 2012

As has been mentioned, Socrata is currently in use by several open
government portal providers (cities, states, countries) and is
cloud-based (dataset management as a service).

It has some nice ingest workflow capabilities and also some *basic*
triplification/semantification capabilities, e.g. associating
vocabulary terms with columns, etc, and produces the resultant RDF via
export. It is what I would call a linked data management system, nor
does have an associated triplestore or SPARQL endpoint.

A very nice feature is that Socrata provides "sandbox" capability for
evaluation --- try it yourself!

Stakeholders should consider Socrata alongside CKAN, the Open
Government Platform (OGPL) and proprietary solutions...

John