[ckan-discuss] Migrating data from CKAN 1.4 -> 1.8

Knud Hinnerk Möller knud at datalysator.com
Thu Oct 25 11:07:07 BST 2012

Hi,

I'm currently working on migrating daten.berlin.de out of beta and into a new environment. Since the portal is based on an old 1.4 CKAN and because we want to change some things around, I'm tending towards starting from scratch with a fresh CKAN 1.8 install.

For migrating the database (of datasets), I can see several options:

1.) using the ckan-harvester extension
2.) writing a script that exports the dataset descriptions from the old 1.4 CKAN using the API, load them into the new CKAN
3.) dumping and reloading the database directly, hoping that it works (I don't really expect this to work smoothly, though)

For 1.) and 2.), would people recommend one over the other, and why? Or could I actually do 3.)?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Knud