[ckan-discuss] CKAN Basic Authentication bug

Jan Vansteenlandt jan at okfn.be
Mon Aug 5 14:02:50 BST 2013

Hi all,

I've got the following problem for which I couldn't find any solutions
online. I have installed a CKAN on a webserver and it's necessary that
before anyone can even enter the CKAN instance they should enter their
Basic Authentication credentials first.

This is easily done by providing an location tag with auth modules in the
.htaccess of the virtualhost. Now, as this works nicely once for after
authentication I get to see my CKAN instance, it doesn't allow me to log
into CKAN itself. If I hit the login button, it returns a too many
redirects and if I hit register it tells me I'm already logged in....even
though I get no panel or anything. So it thinks I'm already logged in
because of the server Basic Authentication in front of the CKAN instance.

So my question is, is this normal behaviour, I think a Basic Authentication
shouldn't be influencing with the internal authentication of CKAN? If this
however is indeed not possible, what would you suggest to allow for similar
behaviour, so that people first have to log in before being able to see the
CKAN itself.

I'm working on a 2.0.1 version of CKAN.

Best regards,

Jan