[ckan-discuss] Groups -> themes?

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Mon Dec 9 15:07:42 UTC 2013

I'd like to see a discussion in the CKAN docs about the appropriate
use of all the different ways of grouping datasets. This is what I've
been able to get so far:

1. organizations: maximum one per datasets, affects permissions for
editing and viewing
2. dataset type: exactly one per dataset, can't be changed after
creation, affects dataset schema, has separate search page
3. groups: anyone on the instance can create, not typically harvested
with datasets, can store extra information in the group, may have
multiple group types (similar to tag vocabulary fields)
4. tag vocabularies: must be able to edit dataset to change, limited
selections, cannot store extra information in the tag, associated with
a particular dataset field (may have multiple vocabularies, similar to
group types)
5. free-form tags: must be able to edit dataset to change, any
suitable text, cannot store extra information in the tag, one set of
tags per dataset

What are the common/suggested uses for each of these?

Ian