[ckan-discuss] Multiple authors etc

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Tue Dec 17 20:16:10 UTC 2013

> I think CKAN is best staeying
> as a generic solution with vaguly sensible defaults, with specifics
> implemented in extensions.

Absolutely; this is exactly why I would like to remove Maintainer from
the UI. We agree on the principle but perhaps we have slightly
different perspectives on what constitutes 'sensible'. Mine is from a
UX point of view. I spend an awful lot of time giving demos of CKAN or
showing people how to use it, and when it comes to dataset creation,
if I try to say anything meaningful about this field, their eyes glaze
over.

By the way, for essentially the same reason I very strongly feel that
the 'Extras' fields should be hidden from the UI by default. I
absolutely understand that adding your own key-value pairs is useful
on datahub.io (so, as you say, implement it in an extension), but on
pretty much any other install, it's extremely unlikely that you want
users creating random extras. If there are extra fields you want to
use systematically, you will set up your schema (and input forms)
accordingly. And as for the poor users, again it is likely to do
nothing but confuse them. But anyway, that's another story.

Conversely allowing multiple authors is extremely straightforward to
understand and doesn't require any explaining at all.

Mark