[ckan-discuss] [LLD] "Dataset Descriptions in the Open PHACTS Project", Monday Jan. 14, 11AM ET / 5PM CET

M. Scott Marshall mscottmarshall at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 17:28:05 GMT 2013

On Monday Jan. 14, 11AM ET / 5PM CET, we will continue the dbcatalog /
dataset description work with a presentation from Alasdair Gray where we
will discuss http://www.openphacts.org/specs/datadesc/ .

It looks like Chisato Yamasaki will be able to join us as well! This
dataset description theme is related to ongoing work from the dbcatalog
group of the Biohackathon 2011 in Kyoto.

--------------------------------------

Dataset Descriptions in the Open PHACTS Project

*Abstract*
Alice: "What version of ChEMBL are we using?"
Bob: "Er…let me check. It's going to take a while, I'll get back to you."
This simple question took us the best part of a month to resolve and
involved several individuals. Knowing the provenance of your data is
essential, especially when using large complex systems that process
multiple datasets.

The underlying issues of this simple question motivated us to improve the
provenance data in the Open PHACTS project.  We developed a guideline for
dataset descriptions where the metadata is carried with the data. In this
talk I will highlight the challenges we faced and give an overview of our
metadata guidelines.

*Bio*
Alasdair is a researcher in the MyGrid team at the University of
Manchester. He is currently working on the Open PHACTS project which is
building an Open Pharmacological Space to integrate drug discovery data.
Alasdair gained his PhD from Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh. He has
spent the last 10 years working on novel knowledge management projects
investigating issues of relating data sets.
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~graya/

Monday Jan. 14, 11AM ET / 5PM CET
Dial-In #: +1.617.761.6200 (Cambridge, MA) Participant Access Code: 4257
("HCLS") IRC Channel:
http://irc.w3.org<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Firc.w3.org&usd=2&usg=AFQjCNGyvJWqmBFYeGsEXwKaQZ3endepYA>port
6665 channel #HCLS

Please let me know if you have or anticipate connection problems and I will
try to help you out.

Cheers,
Scott

--