[ckan-discuss] Ideas for data mashups and improved visualisation for CKAN

Ben Scott bnm at benscott.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 12:05:04 BST 2013

Hi Gavin -

We're using CKAN for the Natural History Museum's data portal, and I've been evaluating options for the data explorer/visualisation as it's the one bit of CKAN that doesn't quite meet our requirements.  We have a huge dataset of millions of specimens, and need map & table views which display all of them, so people can view species distribution etc.,

The Canadensys portal is a nice example of what we're trying to do: http://data.canadensys.net/explorer/search?view=map

So for us paging the results isn't going to work - and maybe this is a common issue? So we're planning on replacing CKAN's current map with CartoDB - it's open source and renders points server-side so you can display millions of items.

http://cartodb.com/
https://github.com/CartoDB

We're planning on working with Vizzuality - the team behind CartoDB - to build a CKAN plugin to do this.

I'd be great if our work could be of use to the CKAN project.  I'd be more than happy to give some more details of our plans - and hopefully it'd be something that might work for CKAN too.

All the best,
Ben