[ckan-discuss] Ckan 2.0: Adding datasets to groups that you are not a part of

Bracco, Frank - FIN Frank.Bracco at houstontx.gov
Tue May 7 16:20:57 BST 2013

Hi Joe,

Doesn't seem to have made a difference based on what I can tell. Here is a brand new dataset that I just added on the demo site: http://demo.ckan.org/dataset/test35
And I was able to add it to Group SkeenaWild Conservation Trust, of which I am not a member: http://demo.ckan.org/group/members/skeenawild

Just to be clear, I do like this functionality (as an option for sites who want to move in this direction). Under CKAN 1.7/1.8, you could do this by just adding logged-in as an editor on groups you wanted to be open for anyone who was logged in. I think what's interesting in the demo site is that I can login and add my dataset to any of the groups and edit my own dataset, but I cannot edit the datasets of others (so it looks like I'm not actually an editor for the group).

In any case, it could just be a configuration option that I'm overlooking or something. More than anything, I'm really just trying to get a sense of the direction the CKAN software is trying to move in and what type of governance model it is trying to make available for added data. To me, the above functionality is more like an open government model (like Wikipedia) where having a logged-in feature (like in 1.7/1.8) could allow more community-oriented maintenance of datasets (where applicable), whereas the functionality of the current master is more of a centrally managed model where users can only add datasets to groups if they are manually provided permissions. Just my two cents on the matter.

Frank C. Bracco
City of Houston
Finance Department
Frank.Bracco at houstontx.gov<mailto:Frank.Bracco at houstontx.gov>