[ckan-discuss] CKAN as a general-purpose cataloging tool?

Allan Hollander adhollander at ucdavis.edu
Thu May 23 19:51:05 BST 2013

Hi all -- I would like some feedback as whether it would be wise to use
CKAN as a tool to catalog a heterogeneous set of resources, some of
which are datasets in a strict sense and some of which are not. To
elaborate, my information set includes a number of spatial and
non-spatial datasets that all relate to environmental indicators on
sustainability. The indicators themselves however need their own entry
in the system, as does each member of a list of environmental issues to
which these indicators in turn relate. There are other pieces to our
information set but that gives the idea. In general, representing the
linkages between these diverse resources will be important to our web
application.

It seems based on my read of its architecture CKAN could be used for
this task provided one changes its nomenclature. That is, everywhere
where the term "dataset" is used in the interface replace (through
template overrides) this text with "resource" and everywhere where
"resource" is used replace this with say "resource component". The
different broad categories of information sets (e.g. datasets,
indicators, issues, bibliographic sources...) would be bundled together
as CKAN groups. The relationships between each of these resources would
be encoded using the package_relationships API (though I'd probably add
a few more relationship types to the hardcoded list of these).

Does this sound like a feasible approach to using CKAN to build a portal
for my information set? I would love to take advantage of all the
beautiful UI work that has gone into CKAN 2.0, especially including the
faceted browsing and the geospatial search.

Thanks,

Allan Hollander
Information Center for the Environment
University of California, Davis