[ckan-discuss] Extension for generating US's /data.json standard

Joshua Tauberer tauberer+consulting at govtrack.us
Fri May 31 21:07:36 BST 2013

Here in the U.S. the new Open Data Memorandum requires agencies to
publish data catalogs in JSON with a particular schema. [1]

For HealthData.gov, the Drupal/CKAN data catalog for the U.S. Department
of Health & Human Service, we created a CKAN extension to generate the
/data.json file. In case anyone from other U.S. agencies is on this
list, I wanted to share our github project for the extension:

ckanext-datajson: https://github.com/HHS/ckanext-datajson

output: http://hub.healthdata.gov/data.json

The mapping to the /data.json schema is specific to the way *we* store
metadata in CKAN, but it at least may serve as a starting point for
other CKAN sites. (e.g. see
https://github.com/HHS/ckanext-datajson/blob/master/ckanext/datajson/plugin.py)

[1] http://project-open-data.github.io/schema/

Hope this is useful to others,