[ckan-discuss] Formal statement of CKAN's adoption of W3C DCAT?

Jesús Redondo redondogarciajesus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 08:08:02 UTC 2013

Hello John,

I am also interested in a CKAN with fully implementation of DCAT, and with
more customization . Right now CKAN only provides metadata about their
datasets and their distributions, (there is not metadata about the catalog
itself). The DCAT metadata is alterable by using the file: "read.rdf",
located in: "(ckan
location)/default/src/ckan/ckan/templates_legacy/package/".

The syntax used to configure the metadata output it is not particularly
easy. Take a look to this (
http://docs.ckan.org/en/847-new-theming-docs/template-helper-functions.html),
because some of the functions used in the config file are there. Still I
miss some functionalities, for example something that provides the size of
one file, so you can use dcat:bytesize.

I am working right now to configure the DCAT metadata of my CKAN instance,
and at the same time I am waiting for some kind of upgrade to the
ckanext-dcat that could make this task easier.

Probably someone with more experience could give you more insight!

Jesús