[ckan-discuss] Help to set up CKAN on CentOS

Iain Elder iainelder at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 03:52:34 BST 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to CKAN. Since learning about your project at FOSS4G 2013, I'm keen to set up a CKAN server in my own organization to simplify our data management work.

I just successfully installed CKAN 2.1 from source on a Linode VPS running CentOS 6.2. Feels good!

You can read all the commands I used to setup my CKAN server on Bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/isme/linode/raw/6ccc6d145b20ee500e0f09c361a1b07824d8c8cc/install_ckan.txt

The goal of the script is to install CKAN and all its dependencies on a fresh CentOS 6.2 distribution. I run each section by pasting it into a terminal.

Most of the commands have been sourced from the official documentation:
http://docs.ckan.org/lv/latest/install-from-source.html
http://docs.ckan.org/lv/latest/getting-started.html

I filled in the gaps from other sources on the web. Some URLs are in the script.

The script isn't ready for production yet. I'm new to Linux work, so it's safe to assume I don't know what I'm doing.

Is there anything obviously missing from my setup process? Anything you would recommend I do differently?

I would like to completely automate the script, but I'm not sure how to handle the interactive sections where I type in a password for a new user.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for developing this promising tool!

Iain Elder
iainelder at hotmail.co.uk
07714160586