[ckan-discuss] CKAN Customization...

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Wed Oct 9 08:32:00 BST 2013

Hi Mark,

for the Swiss Open Data portal we replaced the "group" terminology with
"category" by changing the translations files.
It's some initial effort that's true, but it's not very complicated (see
https://github.com/ogdch/ckanext-ogdch/blob/develop/ckanext/ogdch/i18n/en/LC_MESSAGES/ckan.po
).

- Stefan

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:

> > I actually used this extension to hide groups:
> > https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-hidegroups  which worked quite well.
> > However you do post a good thought.  Perhaps groups are more
> > applicable than organizations in my case.  Nonetheless, what is the
> > best approach to changing the terminology?  Do I need to global search
> > and replace, or, is there database data that needs changing as well?
>
> You shouldn't need to change anything in the database, as far as I know.
>
> You could write your own CKAN theme and wherever the word "organization"
> appears in one of the CKAN templates (global search of the
> ckan/templates/ directory) override that template or templace block and
> change the word. See the new theming tutorial (in progress):
>
> http://docs.ckan.org/en/847-new-theming-docs/theming.html
>
> Another possible approach (not documented) would be to add an en_CA
> translation (Or whatever variation of English you want) and use the
> translations to change the word.
>
> Neither of these approaches would replace the word organization in e.g.
> API call parameters and return values, or in URLs.
>
> For the URLs it could perhaps be done with a CKAN plugin implementing the
> IRoutes plugin interface.
>
> API parameter and returns could be customized from a plugin also, I
> suppose.
>
> All in all, it seems to me like a lot of effort to go to, I'd recommend
> just sticking with the default terminology if possible.
>
> > As for the addition handler, I would simply like to add one more
> > option to the Explore menu - right now there is preview and download.
> > I would like to add Download by Area of interest.
>
> Simply adding another link to the explore button can be done by a CKAN
> theme with a simple custom template, see the tutorial I linked to above,
> it's just a case of finding the right template file and block,
> overriding it, and adding your link.
>
> But what should this link link to? What does it do?

Liip AG  //  Feldstrasse 133 //  CH-8004 Zurich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch