[ckan-discuss] Hierarchical vocabularies

Maria Comanescu mery.comanescu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 00:33:47 BST 2013

Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution to implement hierarchical vocabularies with
CKAN; I'm using the latest version v2.2a.

I'm thinking of two options:
1. Use example_idatasetform to add a new tag field and somehow define the
hierarchical relationship within the same vocabulary (not sure if its
possible)
2. Given that a 2-level relationship works for me right now (parent terms
each having one or more children terms, each child has only one parent) I
wouldn't mind using 2 separate vocabulary fields - one for parent terms the
other for child terms.
I would add the parent terms in the group, than define a new tag field to
store child terms, but again I don't know how to implement the parent-child
relationship between the group terms and the new vocabulary.

I'd appreciate any guidance related to the possibility of implementing
relationships between vocabulary terms.
Thank you!
Maria