[ckan-discuss] Examples of including map and apps in CKAN?

Slaats, Alison (MNIT) Alison.Slaats at state.mn.us
Wed Apr 23 13:24:19 UTC 2014

I'm working with a team to create a CKAN site for Geospatial data. We'd like to include maps and apps along with data on the site. So, I'm taking a look at how other CKAN portals are including maps and apps. By maps, I mean printable PDF maps and by apps, I mean applications that could span a wide variety of things such as an iOS or Android app, a Google Maps mashup, or any other "web app" that makes sense to document on our site.

Our idea was that a user's search results would include not only datasets, but also any hardcopy, or online maps or apps that met their search parameters.

CKAN is flexible, and any type of resource can be included, but my questions are:

1.       How is about how best to present "non-data" resources? I've noticed that some CKAN sites have a separate page for applications (like data.gov), but others include apps as a dataset. Similarly, some sites include printable (pdf) maps and reports as just another resource.

2.       What is the best way to flag non-data resources? With the "format" element, with Tags, or both?

3.       Finally does your CKAN portal include other resources? If so, how have you done this. Or have you seen any CKAN portals that do this really well?

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alison