[ckan-discuss] Feedback requested for W3C note

M. Scott Marshall mscottmarshall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 16:32:35 UTC 2014

Hello all,

In the W3C Semantic Web Health Care and Life Sciences Interest Group, we
have been defining a specification to describe datasets in RDF so that they
can be discovered and selected using SPARQL. The specification is aimed
squarely at registries such as the Data Hub, Bio2RDF, the RDF platform at
EBI (European Bioinformatics Institute) and many others. I've pasted the
Abstract at the bottom of this message.

We would love to hear back from CKAN about whether we've sufficiently
addressed requirements for CKAN/Data Hub and would welcome you to our
teleconference (Monday 3PM UK time until Europe starts Daylight Savings
time on March 30, afterwards: 11AM ET / 4PM UK / 5PM CET).

Please see
http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/joejimbo/HCLSDatasetDescriptions/blob/master/Overview.htmlfor
the *current* state of the document and send us your thoughts. Could
this provide an RDF basis for dataset descriptions in the CKAN registry?
Are we missing anything?

We have a work area at W3C that has an *older* version at the moment:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/hcls/notes/hcls-dataset/

Regards,
Scott

P.S.
Abstract

Access to consistent, high-quality metadata is critical to finding,
understanding, and reusing scientific data. This document describes a
consensus among participating stakeholders in health care and the life
sciences domain on the description of datasets using the Resource
Description Framework (RDF). This specification meets key functional
requirements, reuses existing vocabularies to that extent that it is
possible, and addresses elements of data description, versioning,
provenance, discovery, exchange, query, and retrieval.
--
M. Scott Marshall, PhD
MAASTRO clinic, http://www.maastro.nl/en/1/