[CKAN-support] IE8 - mixed content on a secure page issue

George Sattler George.sattler at xvt.com.au
Mon Aug 19 04:53:35 UTC 2013

Hi Support
Just run into an issue where internet explorer 8 shows a warning when you try a view a visualisation that is pulled in from somewhere over an unsecure connection.

My situation is that https is enforced on the ckan instance and then there are datasets that have a plain http url. From my research, it would seem that this type of thing is a well-known IE8 issue that has frustrated billions of people (probably) worldwide.

Just wondering if this is something that you have encountered before..? and maybe have a fix for..?

The solutions that I know of so far are not really doable

1.       Get people to change their browser settings-  is not possible because it's a large government department

2.       Get all content to load via https - not really feasible either

(attached image of the IE8 dialog that is shown)

Cheers
George Sattler
XVT Solutions

This email and any files transmitted with it is confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. The unauthorised use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify us immediately by reply email and destroy this communication. Any views and opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of XVT Solutions. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for viruses. XVT Solutions accepts no liability for the content of this email, and any damage caused by any viruses that could potentially be transmitted through this email.