[CKAN-support] [Open Knowledge Foundation] Update: Minor changes [DLM=For-Official-Use-Only]

Adam McGreggor notifications-support at okfn.zendesk.com
Fri Mar 28 12:49:43 UTC 2014

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

[Open Knowledge Foundation] Update: Minor changes [DLM=For-Official-Use-Only]

You are registered as a CC on this support request (274). Reply to this email to add a comment to the request.

Adam McGreggor, Mar 28 12:49

Akhilesh,

Thanks for the clarification, I've had a think, and for the Registered users and their followings, I would estimate that to produce a page that allows admins to view a list of users and the (i) datasets & (ii) organizations they follow (as well as styling it, and ensuring it's secure/not a privacy leak) to take between two and four days, but most likely to be about three days.

What springs to mind, as an additional feature/to reduce manual labour, concerns the mailing side of things. It would be possible to use a tool such as Mailchimp or Sendy (sendy can be self-hosted; more details at http://sendy.co/#features), and use the Sendy API and the CKAN API (exposed through the extension above) to generate email lists for each dataset and their followers, so you can push a button in CKAN, and your (email distribution) lists will be updated. The sendy web interface would then be used to create your mail, along with the reports and value-plus that this sort of software offers (I've used Sendy as an example, the same can be done with Mailchimp). I would estimate this feature (as outlined above) to take two days to build. This could also be built separately, perhaps in the future.

At this stage, I don't think we'd have the time to build a function to offer "subscribe to this dataset's email alert list" (for the user, as part of the following process), again, that's something that could be extended in another version.

How does that sound? -- Sorry that I can only provide estimates at the moment.

Akhilesh (OCIO), Mar 28 00:46

For Official Use Only

Thanks Adam for a swift response.

On the subject of List of Registered users, we would like somewhere to visit as an ‘Admin’ to get those details. Basically, the purpose of this is to send out emails to notify if there is a big change going to occur, and to know what impact a change may cause. Ideally, we would like to export this information in a format that can be used to send out emails.

Regards,

Akhi

Attachment(s):
image001.jpg - https://okfn.zendesk.com/attachments/token/Top47PCk4ksF6o7SOJAhD5k38/?name=image001.jpg

Adam McGreggor, Mar 27 19:34

Akhilesh,

For the 'simple' tasks, I estimate the work will be just under 2 days to build/do (Changes to front page (we'd agree how that should appear); Change of URL of CC-By Logo; Changes to Copyright Statement; Changes to Licence links; a one-off 'dump'/spreadsheet of the registered users and what they follow).

For the remaining two, some clarification is needed -- for the Apps & Ideas line, we would need to write something to meet those needs, and I'm not certain we'd be able to get something built and tested for the 7th -- https://github.com/ckan/ckan/wiki/Spec:-Related-Items has thoughts (the Apps/Ideas function is delivered through Related Items). A work-around might be to showcase some datasets with Related Items, e.g., http://data.sa.gov.au/dataset/south-australian-mining-projects-sarig/related -- which doesn't require any development work).

I'm going to be working on the sprint plan for the start of April on Friday about 11am UK time -- I'll reserve some days for the simple work, unless I hear otherwise.

On the costs, some of this could be done in the existing support days arrangement (although I don't seem to have a reply to the clarification I sent in early March on the CKAN version upgrades as part of support contract); so this could be included in that invoice. For the extra days, I'm afraid that the short notice period pushes this over to our premium response rate, which is £950 (roughly 1800 AUD there are a lot of fluctuations) per 8 hour day, in UK working hours. At this short notice, I cannot guarantee availability for out of hours support.

It'd be great to talk, to get a clearer picture of things, but I don't think timezones (I'm London, UK based) are in our favour.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Adam

Adam McGreggor, Mar 27 16:06

Akhilesh,

Aware that you're after a quick response, I just wanted to let you know this is in-hand. There will be some cost involved, as there's currently no roll-over from the support days, for January through to March, although we could eat some of April's.

I'll be back in touch very soon with an estimate of the time to do those, along with the cost.

On "List of Registered users - An email of all the registered users, and the details of which datasets or organisations they are "following". -- could you explain a little more what you mean: would you like a list of all the registered users and the details (as above) emailed to you -- or would you like somewhere to visit as an Admin to get those details? Is this a one-off or a regular thing?

Best wishes,

Adam

Akhilesh (OCIO), Mar 27 07:07

For Official Use Only

Hi,

We are conducting an Open Data Forum on 7th of April that will inform the SA Government employees about the Open Data Principles as well as the data.sa website. We are expecting a large number of audiences for the event. In order to showcase the data.sa website, we would like to implement some minor changes to the website. It would be appreciated if you could let us know whether the changes can be implemented on such a short notice, as well as a quote for implementing these changes.

*       Changes to front page - Currently, there are datasets from 2 agencies that can be viewed on the front page. We would like them to be removed, and the page should be easy to navigate.
*       Change of URL of CC-By Logo at the bottom of the screen - Could you please change the link to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
*       Changes to Copyright Statement at the bottom of the screen - The new link must look like this Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Australia Licence. (c) Copyright 2014<http://data.sa.gov.au/copyright>. The copyright statement must also reflect the change to Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Australia Licence, and the link should be http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
*       Apps & Ideas - Currently, in the 'Apps & Ideas' section, it is not possible to identify the link which datasets have been used to create these Apps & Ideas.  Ideally, we would like to know which datasets have been connected for a particular Apps & Ideas. There could be more than one dataset linked to create an App.
*       List of Registered users - An email of all the registered users, and the details of which datasets or organisations they are "following".
*       Changes to Licence links - Once a dataset is published, the selected licence can be viewed. The hyperlink to all the licenses should be changed due to changes release of version 4 of CC-By Licences. Links for all the licenses are attached.

It will be appreciated if you could notify ASAP whether these changes can be implemented in the given time frame, and also the costs associated with implementing these changes. We hope these changes are minor and, ideally, we would like to test these changes by the end of next week.

Mr Akhilesh Harsh MACS CP
Senior Project Officer
Strategic Programs and Investment
Office of the Chief Information Officer
Department of Premier and Cabinet
Government of South Australia

Level 4, 30 Wakefield Street Adelaide SA 5000
Ph: 08 8226 2649
Fax: 08 8226 1188
Email: Akhilesh.Harsh at sa.gov.au<mailto:Akhilesh.Harsh at sa.gov.au>
www.sa.gov.au/ocio<http://www.sa.gov.au/ocio>

[http://www.sharedservices.sa.gov.au/email/SA-logo.gif]

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally or otherwise privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or reproduce any of its contents or attachments. You are asked to delete all copies of the e-mail from your computer system and confirm that you have done so by return e-mail to the sender. This e-mail and any attachments should be scanned to detect any viruses and no liability for loss or damage resulting from the use of any attached file is accepted.

Attachment(s):
Creative Commons Australia Attribution 4.docx - https://okfn.zendesk.com/attachments/token/wjwC9M6cle24FTPi5VnbGE5cz/?name=Creative+Commons+Australia+Attribution+4.docx

This email is a service from Open Knowledge Foundation.

[4STC-VKT6]