[CKAN-support] [Open Knowledge Foundation] Update: Solr with Oracle JDK

George Sattler notifications-support at okfn.zendesk.com
Fri Apr 4 03:46:12 UTC 2014

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

[Open Knowledge Foundation] Update: Solr with Oracle JDK

You are registered as a CC on this support request (278). Reply to this email to add a comment to the request.

George Sattler, Apr 04 04:46

Hi Nigel

Our Java guys here have tried to find what the problem is but it seems to not be something that’s very obvious. It just seems to be that heap space gets used up until Solr fails. Then a restart of Jetty is required.

It’s strange, but the problem just suddenly occurred. I’m not sure if this is the cause but about a week (approx.) before the problem was noticed, we had run a heap of security updates on the machine for SSQ. If you guys did the same thing before the problem started occurring then it might be the cause.

I’ve done some testing with an internet-facing, vanilla CKAN installation (source install). I just ran a script with wget to hit the front page 5 times per second. Within a few hours, the process ‘jscv’ had used up 50% memory. After I stopped the script, the memory used remained at 50%. Looks like some unreleased memory of some kind.

I’m going to experiment with Solr 4 with Jetty 9 (or Solr with Tomcat) this weekend and I’ll let you know if I come up with a good combination.

I know that you used tomcat for data.nsw.gov.au and it’s been working just fine.

Cheers

George

Nigel Babu, Apr 03 17:06

Hi George,

Like you've noticed, we're running into the exact problem on multiple Solr machines and we're experimenting with fixes and monitoring. OracleJDK is not contraindicated for CKAN for sure and we'd love to hear your results on it about this particular problem.

In the past, I've deployed CKAN for a client on Red Hat with Oracle JDK and it worked just fine.

George Sattler, Apr 03 09:30

Hi ckan support

Just further to my email below, i noticed that demo.ckan.org<http://demo.ckan.org> seems to be returning an error right now (8:28am UTC) - this looks like it might possibly be a solr OutOfMemory error - the site seems to be presenting the same symptoms!
Cheers
George

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message: