[ckan4rdm] CKAN as research data repository

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Wed Oct 23 14:13:42 UTC 2013

Hello Birgit,

Its not a University wide infrastructure, but we are using CKAN as a
bakend for our data catalog in an interdisciplinary collaborative
research centre (Sonderforschungsbereich) [0][1].
We do not use the CKAN data store, we store the data files in an Andrew
Filesystem instance instead.
The data catalogue is still in an beta building phase. So we are not
feature complete yet and still in development.
But we have already published about our infrastructure [2] (email me If
you can't access the article from Wiley, I can send the PDF). You can
find all the details of our implementation, including argumention on why
we decidet to implement an external file store, in this publication.

Cheers,
Christian

[0] http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de/
[1] http://www.sfb806.uni-koeln.de/
[2] http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/resolve/doi?DOI=10.1111%2Ftgis.12060

Am 23.10.2013 15:53, schrieb Birgit Plietzsch:
> Hello
>
> We are starting on a trial of CKAN for Research Data Management and are wondering whether in addition to Bristol and Lincoln there are any other universities that are using CKAN as part of their RDM infrastructure. We'd be very much interested to find out how others are using CKAN or planning to use it. Do you just use individual components, or are you planning to implement the whole package with all of its components?
>
> One of the areas that we would like to investigate is the use of CKAN as a research data repository. Are there already organisations that are implementing or planning to implement the CKAN file store and data store as part of their solution? If so, would it be possible, please, to share experiences with us?
>
> Many thanks
> Birgit
>
> --
> Dr Birgit Plietzsch
> Research Computing Team Leader, IT Services
> University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL
>
> T: 01334 462315  |  F: 01334 462759  | E: bp10 at st-andrews.ac.uk  |  W: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/its
>
> Research Computing blog: http://research-computing.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/
>
> The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland: No SC013532

Christian Willmes	(Public-Key ID: 0x2FA87ED4)
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
Fax.: +49 (0)221 470 2280
http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/willmes-christian.695.en.html
http://www.sfb806.de