[ckan4rdm] Contents of ckan4rdm digest...

Felix Engel Felix.Engel at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Thu Feb 13 16:44:43 UTC 2014

Hello Ant,

our department is about to adapt CKAN for managing our research data,
and metadata seems to be the main obstacle. We are considering to write
a similar feature as you have developed. So, yes, we would also be
interested to look at your code. It would be great if we could get this
turned into a standard extension.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Best wishes,
Felix

Am 13.02.2014 15:07, schrieb Ant Beck:
> :-) Pleasure. I need to speak to the developer (I now work for a
> different company) so this may take time.
>
> If it seems that things have gone quiet then 'virtually' kick me and I
> will sort it out.
>
> Best

> On 13/02/14 14:05, Stefan Oderbolz wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ant,
>>
>> I would be very interested in your approach of solving this
>> "problem". So if you could share your code, this would be really
>> helpful. I'm involved in a project that is just about to decide how
>> to extract metadata for very many datasets in various formats and
>> source systems.
>>
>> Maybe you can make put it under a friendly Open Source license on
>> GitHub or so.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Cheers
>> -Stefan
>>
>> Am 13.02.2014 13:11 schrieb "Ant Beck" <ant.beck at gmail.com
>> <mailto:ant.beck at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>     Hi All,
>>
>>     We (dartportal.leeds.ac.uk <http://dartportal.leeds.ac.uk>)
>>     created a structured automated metadata creation system to handle
>>     our data ingest of thousands of stuff (different formats,
>>     datasets and sensors). There is definitely a need for this,
>>     especialy for those who may want to bulk upload archives.
>>
>>     Our code is not generic - I'm happy to share it if you would like
>>     to generify it, or if it helps in the general thrust. I'm in the
>>     process of writing a blog post on our experiences for OKF
>>     archaeology subsection
>>
>>     Best
>>
>>     Ant
>>     On 13/02/14 12:00, ckan4rdm-request at lists.okfn.org
>>     <mailto:ckan4rdm-request at lists.okfn.org> wrote:
>>

>>         Message: 1
>>         Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:46:36 +0100
>>         From: Hannes Thiemann <thiemann at dkrz.de
>>         <mailto:thiemann at dkrz.de>>
>>         To: ckan4rdm at lists.okfn.org <mailto:ckan4rdm at lists.okfn.org>
>>         Subject: Re: [ckan4rdm] automatic metadata extraction
>>
>>         Dear Joe,
>>
>>         I believe such a thing could be pretty useful for any domain
>>         specific
>>         repository where the number of used formats is limited. Automatic
>>         metadata generation is an important added value as the ease
>>         by which the
>>         data can be found is greatly improved.
>>
>>         Best, Hannes
>>

>>         Am 08.02.2014 04:22, schrieb Joe Tsoi:
>>
>>             Hi,
>>
>>             I'm one of the CKAN core devs and I've created a ckan
>>             extension that
>>             is a bit of a toy example. I hope that it might interest
>>             some people
>>             on this list. The ckan extension is for FITS images
>>             generally used in
>>             astronomy. When a fits file is uploaded to ckan, it
>>             automatically
>>             parses the file and extracts the metadata and saves it
>>             against the
>>             ckan resource, it also generates a greyscale jpeg image
> [...]

Lic. phil. Felix Engel
PhD candidate

Biological Anthropology - Faculty of Medicine
Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
Hebelstr. 29
79104 Freiburg (Breisgau)
GERMANY