[datacatalogs] [ckan-discuss] New dataset catalog to add

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Wed Dec 7 11:44:00 UTC 2011

Hi Lucy, hi Ryan,

A first stab: http://datacatalogs.org/catalog/openei

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> It would be good to talk more about:
>
>  * metadata on licensing for each dataset (or for all the datasets,
> if applicable)

Yeah – that seems to be a valuable piece of metadata in a data catalog.

>  * license for the metadata on: http://en.openei.org/datasets/

Yes, I didn't find information on licensing of the catalog metadata, so entered it as “license not specified”.

>  * what powers: http://en.openei.org/datasets/

The wiki part is a customized Semantic MediaWiki. The catalog part is homebrew?

> and whether or not it
> could be exposed in a way which would mean the data could be exchanged
> with other catalogues (e.g. via DCAT)

The wiki exports RDF, and there are some REST APIs; does this cover the catalog metadata in any way? Or is the catalog itself available in some other form (CSV, …)?

All the best,
Richard