[datacatalogs] Proposal: migrating datacatalogs.org to a new simpler setup

Andrew Ferlitsch aferlitsch at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:56:18 UTC 2014

This is my first timer responding to a thread for this mailing list. First,
I like to say thanks for the plug on the pretty simple user  interface I
have on my catalog of open data portals. I upgraded it a little to make it
easier viewing (more tabular) and sortable (radio selection boxes). One
problem I do have with no-login requirement for submission is that I get a
least one spam submission a day (argh). The user (or bot) is using
obfuscated urls so I can't detect them automatically by keywords. I will
need to start tracking IP and put in place protection from MySQL injection.

For this purpose, a simple CSV file for both submission collection and for
the catalog work well for me. My whole user interface is auto-constructed
from a PHP script that reads the CSV file.

I can understand your concerns about editing. I took a similar tack here. I
put together a generic editing form, which is then populated by a PHP
script from the same CSV file. The text and dropdown boxes allow me to
modify values from the form and then resave back to the CSV file. I press
the MAKE INDEX button and the catalog is fully reconstructed. Below is a
screenshot of the editing form.

Andrew Ferlitsch
Co-Founder, opengeocode.org