[datacatalogs] Proposal: migrating datacatalogs.org to a new simpler setup

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 9 14:05:02 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I would like to proposal to make datacatalogs.org simpler in various ways.

Please let me know what you think :-)

*Backend + Submission Process*

I'd like to propose moving to either simple CSV (stored in git) or a google
spreadsheet as our "database".

We would then have new submissions either via google form and/or pull
requests (if we go with CSV).

This would make it much easier and quicker for people to submit info and
for it to get reviewed (We'd need a couple of folks to volunteer as editors
and review submissions as they came in (and maybe do a bit of
classification))

*Webapp*

If we move backend to a simple CSV or likewise we can move to a much
simpler "ultra-thin" webapp setup. Personally, I'd propose a simple nodejs
app (running on Heroku).

*Running Code*

I'm able to put my money where my mouth is here :-) I have a running demo:

http://new.datacatalogs.org/

This actually was largely done a year ago with help of a few folks but have
done final bit of work to have this running.

Code: https://github.com/okfn/datacatalogs.org

I'd love help here so if anyone wants to jump in let me know and I'll open
up commit rights!

Rufus