[ddj] Looking for Bank failure tracker

mirko.lorenz@gmail.com mirko.lorenz at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:48:01 UTC 2011

Anders,
if interested in more historical data and assessment, the most
extensive book on the topic of financial folly and failure is this
one:

This Time is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly,
by Carmen M. Reinhart and Kenneth S. Rogoff.

Might even be a good idea to track the authors down and ask for
additional data about your topic. For a a very scientific book I like
the tongue in cheek title here.

Regards,
Mirko

2011/12/21 Anders Pedersen <anderspeders at gmail.com>

> Thanks for the feedback from listers regarding the failed european banks,
>
> With a few people I have started to add the failed banks across Europe in a google doc sheet. Our count is currently at around 50 failed banks, but we still need data and verification from lots of countries.
>
> So shoot me an email off the list if you wish to join the data collection.
>
> Will make sure to publish the findings here on the list, when we have gathered a somewhat complete list of failed banks.
>
> Best,
> Anders
>

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Jens Best <jens at liquidmovies.de> wrote:
>>
>> journalist friend told me that the eurostat has a list like that. Check:
>>
>> http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/product_results/search_results?mo=containsall&ms=banks&saa=&p_action=SUBMIT&l=d&co=equal&ci=,&po=equal&pi=,
>>

>> Am 20.12.2011 um 12:47 schrieb Jacobo Elosua:
>>
>> I see two ways to go about this:
>>
>> 1) Pan-European: posting a question through http://www.asktheeu.org/.
>>
>> 2) Country by country: on page 15 of the doc linked below you get a list of Spanish entities that have received public funding (a suitable definition of failed, I guess). The report is dated Jan-11. There are deals not captured:
>> a. Caja Sur, intervened in May-10, and sold to BBK in Jul-10.
>> b. Banco de Valencia, intervened in Nov-11.
>> c. CCM, intervened in Mar-09, before its acquiring entity, CajaAstur, participated in one of the mergers that received public funding included in the list.
>> d. CAM was also intervened in Jul-11 when its planned merger fell through. http://www.bde.es/webbde/es/secciones/prensa/info_interes/fsbspain110207.pdf.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> 2011/12/16 Anders Pedersen <anderspeders at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am looking for a site listing European failed banks during the latest years. In the US the FDIC is keeping such a neat list of collapsed US banks:
>>> http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/banklist.html
>>>
>>> However for Europes collapsed banks I have still not come across any comprehensive site listing collapsed banks in Europe.
>>>
>>> The European Banking Authority is at present keeping no such list
>>> http://www.eba.europa.eu/home.aspx
>>>
>>> Who can recommend such a site?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Anders