[ddj] Introduction to BuzzData

Momoko Price momoko at buzzdata.com
Wed Jul 27 15:42:35 UTC 2011

Hi there,

Liliana Bounegru from the EJC thought it might benefit data journalists on
this mailing list to hear about BuzzData, a Canadian social data-publishing
platform currently in beta. Here are a few details about Buzzdata if you're
looking for a place to network with other data journalists and publish your
data:

-BuzzData is being designed as a "Github for data," where people who work
with data can publish their work while maintaining credit for it

-BuzzData allows people to publish data within context, with room for users
to comment, add visualizations, attachments and articles alongside their
data

-BuzzData is actively developing version control for data, so that people
can clone/merge projects (merging is not ready for public use yet),
hopefully rendering FTPs and redundant versions obsolete in the long run

-We're currently getting an influx of interest from data journalists and
news organizations in North America, especially from investigative units
that want to publish FOI data. You can see some of the data publishing
that's been done by news orgs here:

beta.buzzdata.com/globeandmail

beta.buzzdata.com/globalnews

We'll be going into public beta in about a week, which will allow users to
invite friends to collaborate on data projects, as well.

If you have any questions about BuzzData, you can email me at
momoko at buzzdata.com

Cheers!

Momoko Price
Communications Director