[ddj] Mobile and social media for gathering information and publishing - ongoing project

Nils Mulvad nils.mulvad at kaasogmulvad.dk
Sun Jun 19 10:10:13 UTC 2011

I'm in the middle of a project using mobile and social medias to cover an
event, in this case U21 in Denmark, trying to outline practical journalistic
methods in this new world.

All gathering of material is done on smartphones and sent out to services
like Twitter using Tweetdeck and Echofon), Flickr, Yfrog and Youtube
instantly during the gathering. For instance a video-interview should be
less than one minute, edited in two minutes and sent to Youtube to be used
at once.

All the material is sorted by hashtags visible instantly on a webapp and
widgetboxes on our own website u21live.com and on media-partners websites,
tv2.dk and stiften.dk.

Back home we have editors using Storify to collect this material and
combining it with other material in very fast updated stories, which also
are available on the webapp and the websites instantly.

Every day we make a live tv-podcast combining uploaded material from
Youtube, hosts and guests in the mobile studio, based on a Mac Book Pro,
Wirecast and two cameras - and a box with four mobile lines out - to gather
enough bandwith.

The whole idea is just to use these methods, knowing they will develop very
much in the coming years.

To boost the incoming material we have organized 100 stringers doing the
smartphone-gathering together with 20 journalists.

This evening you can see it all work in practice. We use the overall hashtag
#u21. For the match tonight between Ukraine and Spain we use the hashtag
#ukresp. We follow the match, the mood, the trainers, specific players like
David de Gea from Spain and Tars Stephanenho from Ukraine. And we also
follow the match between England and Czech Republic with the hashtag
#engcze.

I know others experiment with this setup, and it will develop a lot the
coming years. Here it's just that we have forced everything to be done on
this platform and to learn all the practical issues to change. Now we have
run the project for a week and have already produced a lot of material.

I think this way of working will expand also on gathering data and it will
grow closer into investigative journalism. For the purpose of investigations
we will face demands in the gathering process. And the investigative
journalism needs to be produced much faster and sometimes also on the fly -
or close to that.

I think this is just the beginning and it might affect investigative
journalism in many ways, we have to figure out in the coming years.

You can follow the process until Saturday the 25th of July here:
<http://www.u21live.com> www.u21live.com

You can see a description of the project here with links to an
English-version of the web-app, so you can try the app on your smartphone:

 <http://www.u21live.com/press/> www.u21live.com/press/

We will soon make a description in English of the setup, experiences and
advices. We will place it here:

 <http://www.u21live.com/om-u21live> www.u21live.com/om-u21live

Banner01

Best