[ddj] I'm hosting "data office hours" for Stanford course & data projects

Momoko Price momoko at buzzdata.com
Thu Oct 13 22:37:08 UTC 2011

Hey all (x-posted with NICAR-L, apologies if redundant),

So more than 70,000 people signed up for Stanford's free intro. course on
databases <http://www.db-class.org/course/auth/welcome> which started on the
10th; I figured more than a few of those registered would also be on OKF's
ddj list :)

In my experience, post-college online courses tend to gain a lot of interest
at the start and then people get sidelined by life and abandon them,
especially when the course content has great potential, but does not
directly impact the person's daily professional work obligations (ie:
journalists who want to learn more about data).

As a gesture toward averting this, I'm hosting chatroom-based "office hours"
for anyone who wants to meet up with someone to talk about course material,
assignments, etc. every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 6-9pm, EST.

You can sign into the chat room at the following URL:

https://www.hipchat.com/ghnfGs6n0

And I will be there, learning geeky stuff :)

One caveat: I by no means lay claim to be able to answer questions to
problems, only to offer online space in which the course content is open for
discussion/asking for assistance. Hopefully in the future after the course
is over this can grow into a general real-time data-project discussion forum

Hope to see you there!

Momoko Price
Communications Director
BuzzData.com