[ddj] Defining datajournalism

Nicolas Kayser-Bril n.kayserbril at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 16:18:36 UTC 2011

Marco,

Many thanks for your input.

There's no wonder we don't have the same definition: Scholars haven't been
able to agree on a universal definition for journalism for the past 50
years! (which is perfectly normal as Adrian Holovaty, Bob Woodward and the
anchor on Rossiya1 don't have anything but this name in common). That's why
I prefer using "information management".

Concerning the quest for real-time information, I believe it is a
pan-journalism issue. After I realized that the entry about journalism
didn't mention timeliness at all, I've added "in a timely fashion" at the
end of the definition ("*Journalism* is the practice of
investigation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research>
 and reporting <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reporting> of events, issues
and trends <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fads_and_trends> to a broad
audience in a timely fashion.")

As for unstructured data, you're absolutely right that structuring
heterogeneous bits of data is part of data-driven journalism (say, when you
OCRize a scanned paper to obtain an XLS file). Do you want to add a
paragraph about it in the DDJ entry?

best

nkb.
--