[ddj] Defining datajournalism

Mirko Lorenz mirko.lorenz at dw-world.de
Fri Oct 14 13:34:07 UTC 2011

Dear all,
did see the latest reply from Nicolas, but wanted to share just one aspect I
think is important. I think that Antti raises a number of important
questions, but I found that trying to suggest answers is quickly getting too
long which is not that helpful in a public list.

One aspect I really wanted to share is this:

The differentiator of journalistic uses of data and other digital material
is to create story.Where this process starts varies greatly - raw materials
can be pictures, audios, video, visuals or increasingly raw data (open and
not-so-open). The tools used are equally not the key aspect here, as they
might change and evolve. Other people are using the same tools for very
different reasons, e.g. data mining for marketing, often not with the
intention to create a public service.

Digital Journalism, Data Journalism (or data-driven journalism as one
flavor) share the intention to transform something that is hard to
understand into something that is helpful, usable and memorable. Story
firstly is a service (and might later be become part of products such as
magazines, newspapers or websites). Creating stories is important, as it has
a role and function in society.

As this is a public list I simply stop here, it is just another angle that
might or might not be useful for the definition. We'll see what sticks in
the end. This is a fruitful discussion and very interesting to
follow. Thanks everyone for supporting this in such a gentle manner.

Mirko

vG, Mirko Lorenz

--
Mirko Lorenz