[ddj] Fwd: EU Transparency Call for Action

Matthias Spielkamp ms at immateriblog.de
Sat Sep 3 12:53:50 UTC 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	EU Transparency Call for Action
Date: 	Fri, 2 Sep 2011 21:38:47 +0200
From: 	Access Info Europe <listmaster at lists.access-info.org>
To: 	spielkamp at autorenwerk.de

  Access Info Europe

  EU Transparency Call for Action

	access info logo

    Legal Battle to define limits of EU Transparency

    Action Needed!

On 19 August 2011, Access Info Europe filed its response to the Council
of the European Union's appeal against the General Court's ruling that
blanking out the names of the countries making legislative proposals is
illegitimate.

The Council has now appealed to the European Court of Justice to
overturn the 22 March 2011 decision. If the Council's challenge is
successful, the reduced transparency could permit greater "policy
laundering" by EU Member States of the 50% of national legislation which
originates from Brussels.

building_EU_democracy

New Council of the EU Building:
Democracy under Construction?

Access Info is campaigning to stop Member States from supporting the
Council's attempt to limit the public's right to access EU documents.

Greece and the UK have already sided with the Council. It is rumoured
that other governments such as the Netherlands are also considering
doing so.

We have *less than two weeks *to stop them!

Please support this campaign by:

» Convincing your government not to join the legal battle against
transparency;

» Getting your government to defend of the General Court's ruling by
intervening in support of Access Info Europe.

Access Info has prepared some draft letters for sending to the Greek
<http://www.access-info.org/documents/Access_Docs/Advancing/EU/letter_to_foreign_minister_re_Greeces_EU_transparency_appeal.doc>
and UK
<http://www.access-info.org/documents/Access_Docs/Advancing/EU/letter_to_foreign_secretary_re_UKs_EU_transparency_appeal.doc>
government,
and to the other undecided governments
<http://www.access-info.org/documents/Access_Docs/Advancing/EU/letter_to_foreign_ministers_re_EU_transparency_court_case_appeal.doc>.
Feel free to modify them as you wish.

There is also another letter
<http://www.access-info.org/documents/Access_Docs/Advancing/EU/letter_to_MEPs_EU_transparency_court_case_appeal.doc>
for sending to MEPs
<http://www.access-info.org/documents/Access_Docs/Advancing/EU/MEP_email_addresses.xls>,
since the European Parliament also has the right to join the Court Case
and should act to defend the public's right to know.

*Please Join the Campaign to Stop Your Government Fighting EU
Transparency! *

Click here for background information on the Court Case
<http://www.access-info.org/en/european-union/36-reform-of-the-access-rules>

/Thanks to all our EU Transparency Campaigners for supporting our work
to make Europe more open, transparent, accountable and participatory!/

/Please let us know how we can be of help to your own campaigns or
contact us if you want to work together on the issue of European
transparency. /

/With best wishes for the summer from the Access Info Europe EU
Transparency team,
/

/Helen, Pam, Kersti, David, and Alvaro/

Help Desk

The Access Info Help Desk is *open all summer*, Monday to Friday, 10-19
hrs CET: if need help getting information from a public body anywhere in
Europe please contact us <mailto:helpdesk at access-info.org>

Contact Us

Twitter

Follow us on twitter: Access_Info <http://twitter.com/#%21/Access_Info>.

Facebook

Visit our page on Facebook: Access Info Europe
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Access-Info-Europe/367870967220?ref=hnav>

*Phone*

**

+34 91 366 53 44

**

* *

**

*Email*

info at access-info.org <mailto:info at access-info.org>

Sign up to our mailing list

To get our main news, press releases, spanish updates etc, sign up to
our mailing list by clicking here <http://www.access-info.org/suscribe>