[ddj] Russian data APIs

Nicolas Kayser-Bril n.kayserbril at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:53:02 UTC 2011

>From what I've seen, the Russian opendata movement is fairly active, though
I wouldn't know which data repositories are best maintained.

In terms of API, Yandex Maps
API<http://api.yandex.ru/maps/jsapi/doc/mod/concepts/About.xml>is the
equivalent of Google's, with some cool features like the ability to
find a subway station or to access real-time traffic data.

Most worrisome when dealing with Russian data though is the lack of
reliability. This
article<http://windowoneurasia.blogspot.com/2010/12/window-on-eurasia-ever-fewer-moscow.html>on
Rosstat pretty much sums it up:

[A Russian analyst speaks] Rosstat has become “a calculator,” because it
calculates what the government needs rather than counts what it is supposed
to.

Good luck in Russia!

nkb.
--