[ddj] Response to Hannah asking for suggestions of Tools needed

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Mon Dec 3 09:25:36 UTC 2012

Dwight,

Could you crowdsource the transcription using crowdcrafting.org (so
volunteers can transcribe a small part each?)

Or alternatively can you have the videos somewhere and people can annotate
and comment them? This could save editorial work on your side and create
community involvement.

Michael

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 08:56:36PM -0500, Dwight Hines wrote:
> Hanna wrote: "Also, I wanted to mention that if you have a suggestion for a
> tool that you would like to see reviewed, a specific article topic, a
> tutorial that might be useful, or if there is someone that you would like
> to see interviewed on DataDrivenJournalism.net let us know and we will try
> to make it happen."
> Cheers,
> Hanna"
> ===========
> Dear Ms. McLean:
>
> We need to develop some objective measures of accuracy and completeness of
> newspaper coverage of small town government meetings in Maine, USA.
>
> We have been videotaping the meetings and now have about 18 one hour tapes
> that we want to compare to the newspaper articles about the meeting.
>
> First problem is that manual transcription is a pain and costly.  Does
> anyone have suggestions on how to reduce costs by sampling or using some
> automated voice recognition software to pre-process the video content?
>
> Second problem is how best to analyze the content of the tapes and
> published articles to have a reliable, valid, and generalizable set of
> metrics?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated and I believe there are many many
> small towns with weak newspaper coverage that would benefit from such a
> system.
>
> Dwight Hines
> IndyMedia
> Maine, USA

Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr