[ddj] Data Journalism Handbook: Anecdotes in Asking for Information

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Thu Mar 8 20:09:22 UTC 2012

Calling FOI fantatics and Wobbers,

The Data Journalism Handbook is nearly here, but we need a few more
examples to put the polish on it. We're currently looking for short,
illustrative examples (not much more than a paragraph) to give context
behind some of our 'asking for data' tips.

For each of the points below, it would be great to add an illustrative
example of how the

The tips that need anecdotes:

* Start out simple

* Submit multiple requests

* Use appropriate language: use language and etiquette appropriate to any
other professional communication in your country.

* Mention your right to information

* Hide your request in a more general one

* Anticipate the exceptions

* Ask for access to the files

* Keep a record!

* Speed up answers by making it public that you submitted a request.
* Involve your colleagues in using access to information

Experienced any of the above? drop us a line and tell us your story!

Btw, this afternoon we launched http://datajournalismhandbook.org/ where
you can sign up to be told when the book is officially released. If you're
interested in being among the first to know, just register your interest on
the form.

All the best,

Lucy

--