[ddj] Common abbreviations for numbers, by language: Need help of international data journalists

mirko.lorenz@gmail.com mirko.lorenz at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 05:39:24 UTC 2012

Hi,
we are working on the next iteration of Datawrapper. One feature we want to
add is localization of numbers, based on the language.
One example: k for thousands in English would be "Tsd." in German. If we
don't do that, some charts would be quite confusing to users.

Short and long ladder for big numbers is already on the list of next
features.
But still, we don't want to miss other localized expressions, in other
languages. For example: Would there be a different set of abbreviations in
Spanish, Chinese or Bahasa Indonesia?

Could international colleagues sent us other, common abbreviations for
numbers - especially for languages like Russian, Chinese or Africa?
We aim to make this a post on a blog, too - so that we can use this for
international data journalism.

Many thanks.

--
Mirko Lorenz