[ddj] Community Matters for Data Projects at the New York Times

alia chughtai alia.chughtai at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 11:21:02 UTC 2012

H is for Hospital and the arrows indicate the name of the location next to
it.

One of the bigger problems with karachi is the orientation of locations
because not many maps and geographical work has been done with it.
Which is mentioned in the write up prior to getting to the interactive and
the hospitals mentioned are the government run ones which are the only
ones allowed to take in criminal cases/murder/shootings etc, hence
important to highlight in accordance to the stats.

Hope that helps!

-Alia

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Diana Assennato Botello <
lamajavestida at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Alia, nice job.
>
> I was wondering, though, what do the arrows with orange bubbles and the
> blue "H" circles stand for.
>

> On 6 September 2012 12:55, alia chughtai <alia.chughtai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just thought I'd share this with everyone.
>> Been working on this for a long time with the team at Al Jazeera.
>>

>> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2012/08/2012822102920951929.html
>>
>> Please do send feedback!
>>
>> -Alia Chughtai
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Hanna McLean <mclean at ejc.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone :)
>>>
>>> I just came across another interesting article<http://datadrivenjournalism.net/news_and_analysis/Why_Community_Matters_for_Data_Projects_at_the_New_York_Times>recently and thought you all may want to take a look. The article is about
>>> why community matters for data projects and the New York Times and features
>>> an interview with New York Times’ editor of Interactive News Aron Pilhofer.
>>> In it Pilhofer discusses the role that data journalism can play in the
>>> enlightenment of individuals and civil society. Enjoy!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Hanna
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Hanna McLean | Community Manager | European Journalism Centre
>>> Sonneville-lunet 10, 6221KT Maastricht, The Netherlands
>>> Tel. : +31.433.254.030 | Fax : +32.240.042.20
>>> Email : mclean at ejc.net
>>>
>>> Visit: www.ejc.net | www.eu4journalists.eu | www.eufeeds.eu
>>>
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain
>>> confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorised
>>> disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
>>> please notify the sender and delete this email from your system.

>> --
>> Warm regards,
>> Alia Chughtai
>> GM  |  New Media