[ddj] D3 Hackathon

Tony.Hirst Tony.Hirst at open.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 13:28:27 UTC 2013

Re: d3, I came across this approach a week or two ago that tries to wrap d3.js in a grammar of graphics context, which is designed to make it easier to create custom d3 graphics:
http://trifacta.github.io/vega/

I also spotted this R library for generating versions of "templated" HTML visualisations, based on a recipe for generating templates from exemplar pages - clickme, eg described in:
http://timelyportfolio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/building-ractives-is-so-addictive-it.html

FInally, here's a post I noticed about doing the 3D thing in conjunction with d3.js:
http://dexvis.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/dexcharts-d3js-and-threejs-webgl-interaction/

NOTE: I haven't tried any of the above out yet - all on my to do list. I wouldn't normally recommend things I haven't used, but hackdays are for trying stuff out, right?!;-)

tony

Tony Hirst
Personal blog: blog.ouseful.info

Tel/SMS: +44 (0) 1908 652789