[ddj] A new tool for data journalists.

Francesco Ricceri fraricce at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 23:49:22 UTC 2013

*

Hello everyone,

I'm writing you to present my new project, PixCone.

It's a web app for infographic creation and it should sound interesting to
data driven journalists.

My goal is to create an application for data driven journalists, so I'm
interested in getting your opinions and comments to make my project really
useful.

How does it work?

Basically, there's a canvas where you can drag and drop charts, images,
texts. Than you can choose

a background, and export the infographic as an SVG file for using it in
website, magazine, press, print.

PixCone introduces the idea of decoupling data from layout: it means that
you can insert a dataset (comma separated text) then ask PixCone to
generate charts automatically.

Datasets can be reused in other infographics, this is particularly
appreciated in data-journalism.

By the way, PixCone is young. I've done a lot of work, but even more has to
be done.

I'm looking for people interested in using my tool and give me feedback
(free beta account is available). Their help

is important to let me drive the project the right way.

If you'd like to know more, here's a couple links:

An introduction video at PixCone Unofficial Video <http://goo.gl/rnlNr>

<http://goo.gl/rnlNr>

The website PixCone <http://www.pixcone.com/>

<http://www.pixcone.com/>

To get your free beta account: Beta Account
Subscription<http://www.pixcone.com/subscription>

If you are interested in PixCone, or to send a feature request, please
don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

Francesco Ricceri
Software Architect and Author of PixCone*