[ddj] SQL Vs Excel Vs Refine

Mehdi GUIRAUD mehdi.guiraud at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:24:39 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I think refine is good for reformatting data, but Excel and SQL has it too.
I would say, If i have more than 50 000 lines and 50 or more columns, and a
lot of cleaning to do, i would use SQL. Especially the relationship for SQL
is a very strong argument. You can do it with excel, but you have to go
into macro and it gets very unclear pretty fast. For exemple, in SQL you
can keep a view or a SQL sentence and label it, and try different "angle"
for you data. Which would be very difficult/heavy for Excel. Also, I found
google spreadsheets pretty limited compared to excel.
Finally, it really depends how you're going to use the data : if you're
putting them into Illustator, Excel is good enough. If you plan to do some
interactive work, You would gain some time on using SQL. I think SQL is a
good investment in time, but you won't have a lot of SQL capabilities if
you work in different offices. Excel is in a lot of computers but is not
the most powerfull tool (I think powerfullness comes with readability). I
was not convinced (yet) by Refine.
hope it helps.

Mehdi Guiraud
Journaliste multimédia, EMI-CFD