[ddj] SQL Vs Excel Vs Refine

SMachlis at computerworld.com SMachlis at computerworld.com
Mon Apr 29 12:46:45 UTC 2013

What I like about SQL:

= It was *designed* for subsetting, slicing and dicing data. Yes, I can do this to a large degree with Excel and Google Refine; but with a more complex project -- especially as others have pointed out, with data having one or more relationships between multiple tables -- there are times that I find that using a tool designed for the job to be less frustrating and considerably more robust.

= If I am dealing with a large data set that is already in multiple tables, SQL makes more sense to be than trying to shoehorn that data into an Excel-friendly format.

= It helps me think about data in a more structured way, which is very useful when I've got projects where I'm collecting and storing my own data.

= It helps me understand what sorts of data I can and can't reasonably request from government agencies that store their data in structured databases.

= If I am sharing data with colleagues, sometimes it's useful to be able to put up a simple PHP/MySQL app on our intranet (Rails or Jango might be a better choice for this, but the shared internal server I have access to does not include those platforms). Even if I'm creating a Web application with a third-party service such as Caspio, I find it helpful to be able to think about data in relational terms.

= Having a series of SQL commands I can store in a file makes it easier for me or others to go back and check my work, versus a series of Excel point-and-click operations (or even multiple macros buried in Excel).

Sharon Machlis