[ddj] SQL Vs Excel Vs Refine

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Tue Apr 30 07:21:23 UTC 2013

SiFu,

Exactly what I thought. Don't forget sqlite! However it's still a command
line thing but it uses a simple file as a backend. Mac OS X comes with
sqlite pre-installed - so there is little barrier of using it there.

Just use sqlite3 <file> and the file will be used as a database - you can
then handle it like any other file (and even send your database to friends,
plug it into an application etc.)

Michael

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 07:41:37AM +0200, Siegmund Führinger wrote:
> hi joe!
>
> don't forget about http://www.sqlite.org/. no server you have to take care
> of. it's just a simple command.
> i use it quite a bit even though i have several postgres and couchdb
> servers.
>
> SiFu
>

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Joe Germuska <joe at germuska.com> wrote:
>
> > I like all of Sharon's answers quite a bit. Especially "it was designed
> > for subsetting, slicing and dicing" and "easier to go back and check my
> > work"
> >
> > But I sometimes wonder: when people ask "should I learn SQL?" aren't they
> > usually asking "is SQL really worth all the arcana of installing MySQL or
> > Postgres?" Unfortunately, it is pretty arcane, although the MAMP/WAMP
> > package seems to be a pretty good way to get going.
> >
> > I'm sure people will chime in with other favorite installers, packages,
> > GUI admin tools and the like, but I'm afraid that the plethora of responses
> > is just going to reinforce for many journalists the basic problem—it can
> > quickly become its own adventure. A great adventure, like learning to cook
> > food from scratch instead of from kits and convenience packages, but an
> > adventure nevertheless…
> >
> > Joe
> >

> > On Apr 29, 2013, at 7:46 AM, SMachlis at computerworld.com wrote:
> >
> > > What I like about SQL:
> > >
> > > = It was *designed* for subsetting, slicing and dicing data. Yes, I can
> > do this to a large degree with Excel and Google Refine; but with a more
> > complex project -- especially as others have pointed out, with data having
> > one or more relationships between multiple tables -- there are times that I
> > find that using a tool designed for the job to be less frustrating and
> > considerably more robust.
> > >
> > > = If I am dealing with a large data set that is already in multiple
> > tables, SQL makes more sense to be than trying to shoehorn that data into
> > an Excel-friendly format.
> > >
> > > = It helps me think about data in a more structured way, which is very
> > useful when I've got projects where I'm collecting and storing my own data.
> > >
> > > = It helps me understand what sorts of data I can and can't reasonably
> > request from government agencies that store their data in structured
> > databases.
> > >
> > > = If I am sharing data with colleagues, sometimes it's useful to be able
> > to put up a simple PHP/MySQL app on our intranet (Rails or Jango might be a
> > better choice for this, but the shared internal server I have access to
> > does not include those platforms). Even if I'm creating a Web application
> > with a third-party service such as Caspio, I find it helpful to be able to
> > think about data in relational terms.
> > >
> > > = Having a series of SQL commands I can store in a file makes it easier
> > for me or others to go back and check my work, versus a series of Excel
> > point-and-click operations (or even multiple macros buried in Excel).

> [...]

Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr