[ddj] Computer recommendations

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Aug 22 18:08:18 UTC 2013

Quoting Carolyn Thompson <caroethompson at gmail.com>:

> Dear all,
>
> I've been doing most of my data work on a mac, but I'm finding much of the
> open source software I like to use isn't available on that platform. My
> computer will also soon need to be replaced.
>
> I'm looking to buy a PC laptop to work off instead and was hoping I could
> get some recommendations on what model other reporters use and what to look
> for, particularly in terms of fast processing power when working with large
> data banks.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Carolyn
>
> --
> Carolyn Thompson
> Reporter and Photographer
> www.carolynethompson.com
> (c) 506-639-5569
> (o) 506-645-3369

Get a Windows laptop with as much RAM as you can afford, and an
SSD-hard drive combo. Nearly all the major open source tools - R /
RStudio, LibreOffice, GIMP, PostGIS, Quantum GIS, etc., have *native*
Windows ports, and you can always dual-boot with Linux or run a Linux
virtual machine with VMware Workstation.

What software are you running? What would you *like* to run?

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench

Get out of the building - and don't come back till you have the order!