[ddj] Computer recommendations

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Aug 22 23:45:45 UTC 2013

Quoting Carolyn Thompson <caroethompson at gmail.com>:

> Hi David,
>
> Not sure. Maybe somewhere around $1,000 to $1,500 (Canadian) but willing to
> go higher if it's recommended. I'm expecting to be doing most data work as
> a freelancer from now on, so this will be my main tool - no more work
> computer to use.

Really, for data-intensive work, the place to spend money is RAM. It's
been a while since I priced laptops but I got an 8-core AMD / 32 GB
RAM workstation for $1500US. 32 GB laptops are hard to find; search
for "gamer laptop" if you want something that big.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench

Get out of the building - and don't come back till you have the order!