[ddj] 5811 datasets in beta EU data portal

Edmund Tadros AFR ed.tadros at fairfaxmedia.com.au
Thu Jan 10 22:10:31 UTC 2013

Can anyone advise me if there are similar data sets for OECD countries?

On 11/01/2013, at 7:29, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou <b.ooghe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Like on most data catalogs, each dataset is released under a specific licence.
> In the EU Commission's case, there are three different ones used :
> cc-by for about 100 datasets, a few dozens under Europa Legal Notice,
> which seems complex but opendata-compatible, and the whole others,
> meaning more than 95%, are released under the Eurostat
> Copyright/Licence Policy
> <http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/about_eurostat/policies/copyright_licence_policy>
> This last one explicitly says that commercial reuse is possible except
> in a broad variety of situations which the user obviously has to
> identify for himself : this is the exact opposite of an opendata
> licence that would get rid of any legal uncertainty that could put the
> reuser at risk as defined in the opendefinition.
>
> Benjamin
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Ahmed ElAmin <elamin.ahmed at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know if you are correct Benjamin. Where did you get the info
>> that it is for non-commercial use? Even if it says that, media can
>> analyse and publish the data (eg see UK gov transparency data
>> publishing, which is what this exercise by the Commission is based
>> on). Non-commercial use normally means companies cannot package and
>> resell the data. That's my understanding. I can always contact the
>> Commission to clarify if people are still unsure. Here is what the
>> site says (though it is badly put):
>>
>> 'This portal is about transparency, open government and innovation.
>> The European Commission Data Portal provides access to open public
>> data from the European Commission. It also provides access to data of
>> other Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies at their
>> request. The published data can be downloaded by everyone interested
>> to facilitate reuse, linking and the creation of innovative services.
>> Moreover, this Data Portal promotes and builds literacy around
>> Europe’s data. The data publishers, application developers and the
>> general public can also use new functionalities enabled by the
>> semantic technologies.'
>>
>> On 10 January 2013 15:23, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou <b.ooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That is the issue... Does a media reusing data make a commercial
>>> reuse? No one knows, and everyone is in a high legal incertainty
>>> situation...
>>>
>>> Benjamin

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or
any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the
written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in
error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone
and delete all copies. Fairfax Media does not guarantee the accuracy or
completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files.
Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax Media does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached
files.