[ddj] 5811 datasets in beta EU data portal

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Jan 11 13:12:28 UTC 2013

I've written to the Open Definition Advisory Board, who agree with the
assessment of the Eurostat license - i.e. that it is indeed non-open [1].
I've also written to the EC who are looking into making a stronger
distinction between the relatively small number of Eurostat datasets to
which NC restrictions apply (i.e. those derived from trade data and some
non-EU countries) and the majority of datasets which can be reused
commercially without restriction. I'll let you know what the outcome of
this is.

I suggest we continue this discussion re: Eurostat licensing on the EU open
data list [2] (in cc) to save the inboxes of those on the
data-driven-journalism list - and loop in folks who are more directly
interested in public data licensing issues.

Perhaps the next person to reply could leave the data-driven-journalism
list out of their response and make sure the euopendata list is copied in?

All the best,

Jonathan

[1] http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-January/000268.html

Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>