[ddj] Generation Map of Europe

EUWatcher / Joop Hazenberg contact at euwatcher.eu
Mon Jan 14 19:59:06 UTC 2013

@Richard:

Here is the list of key indicators, all preliminary.
Additions/suggestions/sources welcome:

Negative indicators:
GDP deficits / buildup of state debt (2005-2030)
Youth unemployment (2005-2012)
Expected growth of GDP (2012-2015)
Expected rise of welfare costs (mainly healthcare, education, social
policies, pensions) until 2030
Expected increase of burden per worker of these welfare costs (f.i.
Dutch workers are going to pay twice as much for state pension taxes)
Expected net profit/loss of the welfare state per citizen, divided in
age groups (this already has been calculated in the Netherlands)
Expected shortages in labour

Positive indicators:
Investment in education as % of GDP
Investment in innovation as % of GDP
Freedom to do business
Degree of under 40s as a % of total population (France and Sweden have
a relatively young population for instance)

@Robin:
Hope the above indicators make it a little less vague. The Economist
Intelligence Unit has made a 'best place to be born' index, updated it
from 15 years ago:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/01/daily-chart

@Nicolas:
Thanks for the Facebook tip. Are they easy in sharing these kind of data?

---