[ddj] Generation Map of Europe

simon at simonbriscoe.com simon at simonbriscoe.com
Mon Jan 14 23:26:40 UTC 2013

It is a shame that there are so few statistical series - and even fewer
meaningful series split by age in some way - that go back a generation or
more. Labour market data is one area.

I wrote this piece a while back. Data needs updating but it shows (for the
UK at least) that there have been other periods of high youth unemployment.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/feb/14/youth-unemployment-statistics

Simon

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Robin Linderborg <
robin.linderborg at gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds interesting, but a bit vague for really meaningful input so far.
> As for the Generation Conflict Index, I would personally be interested in
> comparisons between the young generation of today and the young generation
> 30 years ago. What are the main differences in terms of chances of getting
> employed, being able to buy a house (or rent an apartment) and so on.
>
> /Robin Linderborg
>

> 2013/1/14 EUWatcher / Joop Hazenberg <contact at euwatcher.eu>
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I would like to ask your input on the following project. Together with
>> a number of journalists and researchers, I am setting up a 'Generation
>> Map of Europe.' This map will be combined with a yearly 'Generation
>> Conflict Index'. The project is used to launch the new think-tank Next
>> Generation for Europe (NGE) - check it here: www.ng4.eu
>>
>> The Generation Map should in the end be a mix of open data and
>> storytelling, in such a format that it's easily reused by media and
>> websites. We're starting with a map based on data aggregated from a
>> variety of sources such as Eurostat, the OECD, IMF and others. After
>> version 1.0 we want to take it further.
>>
>> The map has to show the main negative and positive factors that
>> influence the future prospects of young Europeans. Based on this, we
>> will rank EU member states on our Generation Conflict index. This
>> index will indicate risks such as unemployment, but also rising costs
>> of the welfare state in each member state.
>>
>> Ranking countries in this way will allow to kick-start a much-needed
>> debate on the position of young people in Europe. To address these
>> issues on a national scale is already difficult. But on a European
>> level, the plight of young people seems to be ignored altogether.
>>
>> We are already trying to get funding for the basic research for Map
>> 1.0 but could use much more help, as this exercise is quite
>> complicated! Especially in terms of data collection, visualisation and
>> dissemination.
>>
>> If you have suggestions to take the Generation Map forward, let us know!
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>> Joop Hazenberg
>> www.ng4.eu

07837 363 376